Customizing Apps for Student Learning & Support: Social-Behavioral Focus
One-day learning opportunity
Through this hands-on session, participants will explore their students' social and behavioral needs and then customize apps to create targeted lessons and supports with the aim of increasing desired behaviors and decreasing frustration. Apps introduced will address the following areas:
• social stories
• tools to help students open up/share
• schedules/calendars/task lists
• waiting and managing time
• video modeling
• home/school communication, behavior charts, reflection sheets
Goals for this training include:
1) Identifying a learner's social or behavioral needs, then matching strategies and apps to these areas.
2) Customizing apps by adding content such as photos, sound, and/or text to create lessons or supports for specific students.
3) Sharing at least one activity and using it with student(s) back in the classroom.
Participants will be sent a list of apps prior to the training. Some are paid apps, some are free. It is up to the participant if they would like to purchase these to try before training. Participants will need to bring a laptop computer and/ or iPad, and power cords.
COST INFORMATION: Workshop fee* waived for NSSED employees, Member District** employees, and parents of students in our member districts. For individual participants who do not meet the above criteria, certain fees will apply. NSSED reserves the right to cancel any workshop due to low enrollment. *Registration or material fee per participant will be indicated when registering and billed after the session. **Member Districts include: Northbrook 27, Northbrook 28, Sunset Ridge 29, Glenview/Northbrook 30, West Northfield 31, Glenview 34, Glencoe 35, Winnetka 36, Kenilworth 38, Lake Bluff 65, Lake Forest 67, Bannockburn 106, Deerfield 109, North Shore 112, Township HS 113, Lake Forest 115, New Trier 203, Glenbrook 225.